Sunday, June 28, 2009

Troubles with translated JRPGs

It's weird using your own name on a JRPG game's main character when your name is distinctly not Japanese. Not even close to Japanese sounding either.

I encountered this dilemma when starting up Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor. The main character has no set name. This may be a good thing for someone wanting to make their own name (possibly put their own name in the game). I on the other hand much prefer when everything has a set name.

Having each object or character their own preset name is much easier for me. Sure it doesn't make the game completely "my own" but it relieves me of a great deal of pressure. Choosing names can be a very complicated thing. You don't want something cheesy, but at the same time, you don't want something too bland. So I much prefer when they already have a name in place and I can choose to just go with this.

The issue with Devil Survivor is that the main character doesn't have a preset name or suggestion. You need to pick one. Not wanting to sit around all day thinking up the perfect name that I would grow to hate in the end, I used my own. It was simple to think up and easy to see. Or that's what I thought. Since every other character in Devil Survivor has a preset name (in fact, you can't change their names at all) and due to the game being an RPG from Japan, they all have Japanese names. The issue - my name isn't Japanese. So throughout all the preset names, there is mine sticking out like a sore thumb.

Lucky me, I get to continue through the game with the oddest sounding character. Hopefully I won't cringe everytime a supporting role calls out to me for much longer.

P.S.

LocoRoco 2 and WipEout Pulse are great!

No comments: