Saturday, January 10, 2009

Games of the Year - Not Quite Best Part 1

So continuing my lists of the top games and the worst games (and other games) of 2008 we are now into the games that I also really liked but didn't think were in my top 10. I have this list because some of these games were great and need to be mentioned. These games may also suck when we look at their average review scores, but if I had a good time with them, it's most likely in here.
  • Fable 2: I never tried the first one, and I had heard mixed feelings about it for a while. It was my first game to recieve for reviewing so it will always hold a place "in my heart." I liked the humor and the huge scale to this game. I even enjoyed - apart from the general feeling - getting to see my friends as orbs moving around my world. It didn't make top 10 because I finished it far too quickly and the online was jacked.
  • Braid: This is such a big game in the culture of video games and should be experienced by everyone for the literary merit and the artstyle alone. I loved the music in the game and adored how it looked like a water color painting with the level being made by markers on top. This didn't make top 10 because I found it way too short, especially for the price.
  • N+: I love the original N and still play it obsessively from time to time. This was quite good if you can find a good team to go through the levels with. It didn't hit top 10 because it's nothing really outstanding and it's free online.
  • Grand Theft Auto 4: I just wasn't a huge fan of this game, I wasn't entranced like most people were. I haven't ever been a fan of the GTA series and this was no exception. I did like it more than the rest of the others, but it wasn't anything great to me.
  • Dash of Destruction: This game is awful. But you should download it because it is free and takes twenty minutes to get all 200 points.
  • Assassin's Creed: This game wasn't too bad for me, but looking back on it: I can see the issues. It was really repetitive and gave you meaning less tasks. Other than that, I had a real good time. But when I beat it, I NEVER went back.
  • Eternal Sonata: I know almost no one who played this game. The one person I do know, thinks it is garabage. I disagree and found it quite good. The graphics are wonderful and the battle style is a good blend of Final Fantasy and any 'Tales of' game. It, however, had no replay value and could get mad tedious at points.
  • Turok: This was such a shock for me. It came out incredibly early and I had never even heard of this series. I fell in love with the online play however. It was just so fun and engaging. This was also the first game where I really worked HARD for one of the achievements. It didn't make the top 10 though because I couldn't play the single player because I couldn't care less for it.

Going into this list, I didn't think I would be breaking it into two parts. I just realised it was late o'clock and I should get some sleep since there are a lot more games I have for this list. Look forward to two or three more of these lists tomorrow while I play more Animal Crossing and watch She-Ra.

No comments: