Saturday, January 17, 2009

Games of the Year - Biggest Disappointments

So I now found some time on my hand apart from the Game Pass trek I am on and figured I should get some of these lists done. These will be the games I found quite a disappointment despite what I thought and heard about the game beforehand. A lot of these games have been in other categories I've used just so you know.
  • Assassin's Creed: Overall I had a good time with this game, but it was the replay value that did it in for me. After beating it, there was never one moment where I felt I should go back and do some more. There was just nothing outstanding about that game that lead itself to multiple play throughs.
  • Braid: I really enjoyed this game and almost everything about it, but like the first game on this, it didn't provide any replay value for me. I'm not going to go collect stars because that seems like the most tedious task ever. Besides that, nothing really made me want to go through the puzzles I already knew again.
  • Mario Kart Wii: It was basically like every other Mario Kart, but it didn't add anything noteworthy this time like Double Dash did. I wouldn't know if the online is great because I don't play it. I also don't like how you can't play cup races with friends, the local multiplayer just sucks. You also get a limit on your battle matches. This means you can only play like 'best 2 out of 3' then you need to load everything up again. They also got rid of Block Fort.
  • Soulcalibur 4: I liked the first two SC's a lot, so even the third was a disappointment to me. This one just went ridiculous and I didn't enjoy it.
  • The Force Unleashed: This game had looked really cool and there was some interesting physics in the game. However I constantly felt like it was flawed as I played. I still can't quite narrow it but I think the targetting system was either off or didn't work out as well and smooth as it should have been for a game like that.
  • Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise: I don't know what it was with this game, but I just didn't feel the need to play it like I did the first game, and even the PC version of the first game. I think it felt a little cluttered with all the new regions and stuff. I do want to get back to it but there's just something keeping me from it
  • Turok: This game had really really fun multiplayer and I played it so much. There was about a week where I probably put in at least 20 hours into it. I just couldn't get into the single player at all.
So those are my top games of 2008 that I had the biggest disappointment in. Next I'll do the games I still want to play that came out in 2008.

No comments: