Saturday, January 10, 2009

Games of the Year - Best

So I decided to write up some lists for certain games of 2008. This one will be my favorite ones I played this year (that came out this year). This won't be in any specific order as I can't really decide what my best of is. These are only the 10 best games that I played throughout the year.

  • Burnout Paradise: This is a game that didn't see many Top 10 lists this year due to it's early release date. I find it most noteworthy because I had some of the best online time of any game to date with this game. The use of it's many different numbers of co-op challenges along with head to head racing was just great. Even though this is a racing game, I had the most fun when working with people in order to complete the online goals. Getting seven people together just to have the final guy do a barrel roll over the rest was just too much fun.
  • Professor Layton and the Curious Village: This brought my love of riddles and mind teasers to a game with a great story, art style and overall game play. I became addicted to this game through over a hundred of its puzzles. Everytime one of the full anime cutscenes came on, something great happened. It also contains Professor Layton, one of the coolest characters ever. I am eagerly awaiting the release of the sequals in North America.
  • Gears of War 2: This came as shock to me as I had no interest in this game at all. I wasn't even planning on picking it up, it was sent to me on accident. Unlike the first game, this one kept me interested and wanting to play more. The weird thing is that I can't even think of a reason why this one got to me and the first pushed me away. One of the best things about this game was, like most first person shooters, the online play. Specifially Horde mode. If you have checked out some other Top 10 lists on the web, you can tell people really like this game. Just the use of pitting everyone together to the point where if someone leaves to go solo, they WILL NOT make it. Quite the genious set up of co-op play.
  • Chrono Trigger (DS): This was a great port of the Playstation game that was a remake of the SNES version. Chrono Trigger is one of the publisized and legendary RPGs of all time. It contains around 13 different endings and has the best - personally speaking - sound tracks ever. This game is highly involving and keeps me thinking about it and wishing I had more free time to play it.
  • Prince of Persia: This game didn't get such great hype when it came to the reviews but I had some of the most fun with it in a single player game. It didn't have the most depth or challenging difficulty that most games should have, but made up for it in other ways. I loved the art style so much and deem it one of the best looking games of the year. I also enjoyed collecting the light seeds, which most people would find tedious and not fun. It was an overall good game that, even though I was only timing my button pushes and watching everything happen for me, I had so much fun going through it.
  • Geometry Wars Retro Evolved 2: This was the first of the series that I ever played after hearing only good about the first Retro Evolved. I did go back and get the first one too and can see how this was such a smart upgrade to a great game. It took such a small game and used all its potential in six incredible ways. This is probably the best game I have on the Xbox Live Arcade and is easily worth more than the 800 Microsoft Points it is going for.
  • Rock Band 2: I fell in love with the first game. It was the perfect party game and can always throw it in when I have a group together and we've gotten tired of everything else. Its sequal did the same but just fixed any loose ends and brings it more towards what it did best: playing with friends. This series has almost made me drop the Guitar Hero series. It has a more professional feel to it and yet remains rediculous.
  • The World Ends With You: This is another incredible DS game that easily hits the top list for any DS game released. It used the stylus in a great way that didn't get tedious over time. It had great replay value with the ability to go back to any level that has been previously played. It also integrated a great art style and lovely full anime and voice overed cut scenes. This games was one of the best new games to come from Square Enix in a while.
  • Castle Crashers: This was a wonderful brawler with a great new flash game like twist. I am quite a fan of olden arcade beat 'em ups like TMNT 1989 Classic and this just renewed my love for them. The only downside to this game was the jacked online play. It was fortunately been fixed but it came at a time too late for me as I had already had my fill of the game.
  • Tales of Vesperia: This wasn't a huge game and not many people played it at all. I however quite enjoyed it whether it be because I hadn't played a great 'Tales of' game since Tales of Symphonia 1. It reminded me of all the great times I had with that games but upped the graphics and added my much loved achievement points.

I will also be continuing this post with more games I loved and quite enjoyed but didn't feel they were a top 10.

I will be adding a few more 'Games of the Year' posts over the next day or so looking at the worst I played, the most disappointing, the ones I'd most like to play soon and the best reviewed that I have no interest in.

Let me know your top 10 games of the year.

No comments: