Tuesday, December 16, 2008

The 2008 VGA Awards

So people who know me know I love video games. And they'll know that video games and the news and industry surrounding them are like blood to me. So as I have done for the last three years now, I tuned into Spike TV's Video Game Awards. This year - 2008, this sixth annual - was awful.

Now you are probably very confused as to why I would say this. "But Sean, it's about video games!" My problem with it was that it was talking the stereotype of "gamer" a bit too far. I will start off by saying it was a much better idea to have Jack Black as a host over Samuel L. Jackson. However, I don't like how we as "people who play video games" are to be thought of as chubby men in underwear all day. I know it was a joke, but with the decrease of the 'hardcore gamer' and 'casual gamer' differences moving along quickly, it kind of gets rid of the point.

What's else? This. That in its entirety is quite true. I'm so tired of having companies use attractive women to make us care about their product. The fact that she made up a gamertag was even worse. I'm also getting tired of the stereotype of 'women don't play video games.' We all know that that is no longer true. Nintendo makes a killing proving that stereotype wrong daily.

I also don't see how the announcement of a Gears of War 2 map pack was the BIG SURPRISE! Especially since this game Isn't even a month old yet - which brings up the argument whether it is a fair add on, or a lousy and rude marketing strategy (but that's for another day).

In the end, I didn't even finish the entirety of the show. I'm glad that I didn't because I didn't need to hear and see anymore announcements that will be on Kotaku by the end of the night. Also, did they really need two hours for about thirty minutes of actual game awards?

No comments: