Thursday, August 14, 2008

Castle Crashers and the price of XBLA games?

It was just recently announced that the highly anticipated game Castle Crashers developed by The Behemoth is now going to be changing it's price to 1200 points. Before this, it had been announced that the game would be going for 1800 reaching a price of around $22.50 American for the game; making it the most expensive XBLA game yet to be released.

I think I speak for all of us when I say, thank god. I had been thinking about this game and it's former steep price ever since it had been announced. I had always been interested in the game but the first price thrown out there kinda shook me up. I was getting to the point where I thought that I might just bite the bullet and pay the $20+ (and being in Canada, it's a bit more than $22.50). So this new announcement greatly puts me at ease.

It got me thinking though, are games going to soon be getting their prices hiked on the 360's marketplace? I read an article today on Giant Bomb by Jeff which first gave me the news about this price drop. He went into how he might think games are now going to be hitting 1200 as the standard price now, instead of 800.

It made me wonder and somewhat agree. I could see Microsoft charging 1200 ($15 US) for these games, they know people will pay for them.

When the marketplace was first out, they were only charging 400 points for games, even ones as huge as Geometry Wars Retro Evolved, and from that the standard price is now 800. So from the beginning where Microsoft was first seeing how much people would be willing to pay for these games, to now seeing how much farther we will be willing to go. I thought 800 was a fair price, $10 (US) for a short game on the 360. I could handle that. But now with the 1200 points becoming a little popular with games like Braid and Penny Arcade even passing that, will 1200 be the new 'fair' price? $15 is getting awfully close to the price of the budget games when they hit the "Player's Choice" or whatever. I'm beginning to think a game with the story or main single player mode only reaching 10 hours at most till your going back on pure replay value is a bit much.

I'm happy to pay the $15 for Castle Crashers, but is it just because my other alternative was $22.50?

What do you guys think; will $15 become the next standard price for the XBLA games?

P.S. It's out on the 27th and I'd love to stay up for it, but I'm coming back from my vacation that day so I'll be missing the launch by a few hours. Anyone staying up?

No comments: